On Call And Working, at 4:30am


I'm on call at work this week. I got paged an hour ago with a problem. I was praying it was something small and I could quickly get back into bed. I had to involve another department and wake one of their guys up. He's looking into my problem all the while telling me that the way we are doing what we're doing is wrong and there wouldn't be a problem if we had done "x...y...z". No kidding. I'm well aware of that. I didn't write the application, and I had the same concern during design. I passed those concerns along and was told that was the only option. Whatever. Learn from your mistakes. Except now its haunting me again a year and half later because *I'M* the one that has to get up in the middle of the night. Very frustrating. And then my laptop lost its VPN connection and I can't get back on. So...at least it's Friday.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow - Sorry - And you took the pager from me.

But, imagen if you will, that this is an almost very day acurance. You tell people to think internatialy, or you tell them to look outside the firewall for problems, or you tell them their are 13 security problems and all you get is in trouble, written up and pushed aside.

Your boss tells you your a "I told you so" kind of guy and blames you for troubles because you pointed them out.

Now be on call when they learn that SSL causes delays or they have someone cross site scripting them to get personal data from our customers.

Not that I'm complaining mind you.
Scott said…
Wierd...I wonder who that was?

Popular posts from this blog

Let It Snow